Wednesday, December 19, 2012

I'm sorry for so many photos of this new Little Mermaid, but I think she must be my most photogenic jointed doll yet, because I can't stop taking pictures.
 Like most of my jointed dolls, she is sculpted in pieces from clay, baked, and then sanded meticulously. She is then painted by hand.
 As with the others of my new Les Sylphides series, her hair is made from un-dyed organic wool, and then hand-stitched to muslin. Her hair is very long, and can be arranged in various ways.
 Her tail is made from three separate moveable sections, and is covered in scales hand-cut from natural Osnaburg cotton. Each section is jointed with waxed cord. The fin at the end is stitched from the same natural cotton and also jointed with cord.
 Her crown is hand-stitched from Osnaburg cotton and stiffened with decoupage finish. The seaweed that waves from her crown and hair is hand-cut from the pages of an antique German book, and then finished with a flexible sealant. The garland of seaweed around her neck is also hand-cut and sealed from cotton.
 Her arms are sculpted from clay and immovable, but from the hips down she is flexible and changeable, as is her hair, crown and seaweed decor.
She is very interactive as a sculpture, in that you can pose her and decorate her in as many different ways as you can imagine. Obviously, I've been having fun with her!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Maia,
    HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!! I meant to write to you to thank you for the lovely extra gifts, and to answer (very belatedly...) your message, but I'm at my mother-in-law's in Gloucestershire and I don't have your email address with me.
    But I did want to say that we're sendIng you our warmest wishes, and I can't wait to see photos of your celebrations!
    Much love,
    Carole (and Hâuie) xxx

    ReplyDelete